The Nature of Human Suffering and the Preservation of Dignity at the End of Life (On-Demand)
The lecture will include a discussion of the nature of spiritual suffering and its treatment, as well as common mental syndromes and their psychiatric approach (such as delirium, depression and panic). Participants will explore emotional suffering, its nature, approaches to treatment, severity, and outcomes. They will learn about physical suffering, common forms of therapy and drug usage for pain control, dyspnea and obstruction. The session will touch on challenges of family care and approaches to therapy, as well as grief and the challenges it presents to staff and families.
This archived version is recorded from our live long-term care conference, "Compassion, Comfort, and Compliance in Long-Term Care." The video features footage of the speaker and the presentation slides.
Registrants seeking continuing education will be asked to watch the recording in full, pass a post-test, and submit an evaluation form.
- Administrators (NAB): This program has been approved for Continuing Education for 1.25 total participant hours by NAB/NCERS— Approval #20191007-1.25-A47405-DL. Expires 10/8/2019
- Catholic Chaplains: The National Association of Catholic Chaplains has approved this program for a total of 1.0 Continuing Education Hours. No expiration date
- Dietitians (Registered): This educational program has been approved for 1.0 Continuing Professional Education Hours by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Approval # 142503. Learning Need Code (s) # 1050, 5430. Expires 10/8/2021
- Nurses: This recording was part of the program “Compassion, Comfort, and Compliance in Long-term Care.” People who complete this recording in full will receive 1.0 Contact Hours. This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Northeast Multistate Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Approved Contact Hour(s): 11.0, Program Code #: 002-169-070618. Expires 7/6/2020
- Recreation Therapists: This recording was part of the program “Compassion, Comfort, and Compliance in Long-term Care.” People who complete this recording in full will receive 0.1 CEUs. The American Therapeutic Recreation Association has reviewed and pre-approved this workshop for up to 1.1 CEUs. Approval #181008NY. Expires 10/8/2019
- New York State Social Workers: Avila Institute of Gerontology, Inc., SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0265. No expiration date
If you have any questions or concerns about registering and attending the webinar, or about continuing education, please contact Tricia Misonznick or Erica Balazs at (518) 537-5000.